Thank you for visiting the City of Alexandria, Kentucky web site. It is our hope that you will learn more about our community and the people who serve it through the information posted herein.
The police service as an industry has been in a continuous state of change for many years. We have not reached our pinnacle as of yet. Nonetheless, we strive to do our best day in and day out.
More than 150 years ago, Sir Robert Peel (considered to be “The Father of Modern Law Enforcement) declared nine principles of modern policing - principles that remain unsurpassed in describing the essence of "community policing":
1. The basic mission for which the police exist is to prevent crime and disorder.
2. The ability of the police to perform their duties is dependent upon public approval of police actions.
3. Police must secure the willing cooperation of the public in voluntary observance of the law to be able to secure and maintain the respect of the public.
4. The degree of cooperation of the public that can be secured diminishes proportionally to the necessity of the use of force.
5. Police seek and preserve public favor not by catering to public opinion but by constantly demonstrating absolute impartial service to the law.
6. Police use physical force to the extent necessary to secure observance of the law or to restore order only when exercise of persuasion, advice and warning is found to be insufficient.
7. Police at all times should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition: the police are the public and the public is the police. The police being only full-time individuals charged with the duties that are incumbent on all of the citizens.
8. Police should always direct their actions strictly towards their functions and never appear to usurp the powers of the judiciary.
9. The test of police efficiency is the absence of crime and disorder, not the visible evidence of police action in dealing with it.
In Alexandria our mission is to provide professional, high quality, as well as effective police service in partnership with the community. We believe that our work has a vital impact on the quality of life in our community.
Please feel free to contact me with questions or comments about the operation of this agency. Thank you again for visiting our web site and I sincerely hope that you have an opportunity to visit our community in the future. You will love what you see!
Your are currently browsing this site with Internet Explorer 6 (IE6).
Your current web browser must be updated to version 7 of Internet Explorer (IE7) to take advantage of all of template's capabilities.
Why should I upgrade to Internet Explorer 7? Microsoft has redesigned Internet Explorer from the ground up, with better security, new capabilities, and a whole new interface. Many changes resulted from the feedback of millions of users who tested prerelease versions of the new browser.
The most compelling reason to upgrade is the improved security. The Internet of today is not the Internet of five years ago. There are dangers that simply didn't exist back in 2001, when Internet Explorer 6 was released to the world. Internet Explorer 7 makes surfing the web fundamentally safer by offering greater protection against viruses, spyware, and other online risks.
Get free downloads for Internet Explorer 7, including recommended updates as they become available. To download Internet Explorer 7 in the language of your choice, please visit the Internet Explorer 7 worldwide page.